Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Sometimes things just work out!


This is the last post of 2012 and it is the last Monday of the month where Jane at Small But Charming is hosting flowers in the house.  I never would imagine I would have a few flowers left from this growing season. Some times things just work out without one's help or plan. This has been one of the wettest years here in Oregon,  I know you think it rains here all the time but it just feels like it.  Actually it did rain all the time and not all of our flowers were planted exactly on their schedule. We got to a point where it is just throw the bulbs and seedlings in there and lets see what happens. Anyway, everything outside of our hoop houses is a wet, slimy mess but in the back of one house were a few snaps and glads just chugging along.  We thought everything would poop out before Thanksgiving and we would get to the cleaning of the house after the holidays, but stuff just continued to grow and bloom. We are learning that if we can keep the cold rain off the plants, they have a chance to bloom and they did!  I became excited about future possibilities but have been tempered by Farmer Tony who gives this happening again in the future a one out three chance.  Bummer,  so the colors are not  holidayish  but they were for Autumn. Next year I plan for whites, reds and greens.  Just hope the odds are in my favor.

 I included a second photo to show the old arrangement which is pretty toasted but has been hanging around for over two weeks.  This is it for the glads but maybe if mommy nature is still kind, I can eek out an arrangement for next week.  My goal has been to have my flowers in the house every week this year since Feb. 17th.  I am close but the next few weeks are going to be tricky and the anemones hopefully will be here by the end of January.  Then we are off to the races with another season of flowers.  Check out the other flowers at Jane's.   
 
Wishing all a safe and wonderful New Year!

"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."                   Ralph Waldo Emerson






9 comments:

  1. I am so jealous. Glads & snapdragons in December in the northern part of this country growing in your yard (OK, greenhouse), hate you. Don't take that wrong. Best wishes for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet I can't do it again...Thanks for most of the nice words haha!

      Delete
  2. This is amazing that you've been able to keep these flowers growing so long. I assume you're starting them late that they're blooming so late...and looking so good? I'm extremely impressed. So interesting to see rose hips with glads and snaps. unheard of!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried to grow in succession but most of the time we fall way off pace with the plan and just wing it. Thank you for the nice compliments!

      Delete
  3. What a big beautiful bundle of home grown flowers. You have topped our charts today.

    And we might have anemones to look forward to in January?

    And I say to myself, what a wonderful world.

    Happy New Year?

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane for the compliments and the hosting. I very much enjoy your posts with the opportunity to peek into others' homes legally. Fingers crossed for anemones!

      Delete
  4. Yep, that is one big homegrown bouquet! Still looks good too! Local anemones coming in around here now...a customer favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing looking arrangements!
    Happy New Year!
    xoxo Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Such pretty arrangements. Everything looks beautiful. Great job!
    Wedding Photographers in Dubai

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...